[AAUP-ULL-List] Provost

Leslie Bary leslie.bary at gmail.com
Sat May 6 17:48:51 CDT 2017

Dear all,

Keith (our new chapter President) together with Chad (incoming Senate
president) and George Woodell (experienced Senator and AAUP President) have
been discussing the Provost search and the possibility of coming out with a
statement from the AAUP chapter, or perhaps a joint Senate-AAUP statement.

We have two questions:

1/ What happened with Alex-Assensoh? The Senate endorsed her and she had
broad support. Was she offered the job and turned it down, or not offered
it? If she was not offered it, why was she not offered it?

2/ Finals week and the week after very bad timing for Provost interviews.
Not all of us are happy with the candidates. Must we hire one of these
candidates, or hire a candidate without a more transparent process? Is it
not worse to hire someone destructive than to wait a few more weeks?

This position is really important and I, at least, think AAUP and Senate
should weigh in.

Gracias --
Leslie.

--
Leslie Bary, Ph.D.
Asst. Prof. Spanish / LAS

2016-2020 District V Representative, National Council AAUP
2016-2018 Secretary, Louisiana Conference AAUP
2017-2019 Vice President and Chair, Committee A, UL Lafayette Chapter AAUP

Department of Modern Languages
P.O. Drawer 43651
University of Louisiana
Lafayette, LA  70504