[AAUP-ULL-List] AAUP Louisiana Conference news, October 21

Leslie Bary leslie.bary at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 16:21:32 CDT 2017

Dear all,

The Louisiana Conference of the AAUP gathered in Baton Rouge today for a
workshop on building state conferences with Brian Turner (Randolph-Macon
College), Chair of the Assembly of State Conferences. A more detailed
discussion of Turner's illuminating presentation and our very productive
conversation around it is forthcoming from Ravi Rau, Louisiana Conference
President, and will be forthcoming on our website.

One important piece of state conference news is that Southern
University-Baton Rouge has a new AAUP chapter with 15 members, many of whom
were at today's gathering. We discussed the need for a state-wide strategy
and decided that a simple action that could be taken at every university is
to ask our university Presidents to sign onto the AAUP's September 7
statement on harrassment:
https://www.aaup.org/sites/default/files/Statement%20on%20Harassment.pdf
The UL Lafayette chapter has already voted to ask that our President do
this; it is a relatively non-controversial, yet important request that can
serve to open dialogue and we hope, build toward cooperation and
collaboration.

Here is contextualization and additional discussion of the national
campaign for endorsement of the statement on harassment.
https://www.aaup.org/media-release/taking-stand-against-harassment-part-broader-threat-higher-education#.Weuz5oZryBI

The April, 2018 meeting of the Louisiana Conference will be held at UL
Lafayette; details are forthcoming. This meeting is important since
elections of 2018-2020 officers will be held. There will also be a
presentation from the new SUBR chapter on their organizing process, and an
additional speaker from our broader region.

Enjoy this weekend.

Leslie Bary
Secretary, Louisiana Conference AAUP

--
Leslie Bary, Ph.D. | Asst. Prof. Spanish and Latin American Studies
http://languages.louisiana.edu/academic-programs/spanish

2016-2020 District V Representative, National Council AAUP
2016-2018 Secretary, Louisiana Conference AAUP
2017-2019 Vice President and Chair, Committee A, UL Lafayette Chapter AAUP

Department of Modern Languages | P.O. Drawer 43651 | University of Louisiana
Lafayette, LA  70504 | Tel.: 337.482.6814 | Fax: 337.482.5446 | Email:
lbary at louisiana.edu