[AAUP-ULL-List] Secretary-Treasurer's report, PROPOSAL, and Committee A report - UL Chapter AAUP

Leslie Bary leslie.bary at gmail.com
Wed May 8 10:38:42 CDT 2019

Dear colleagues,

TREASURER'S REPORT - BANKING

As you will remember, this semester Mark Smith stepped down as Treasurer of
our AAUP chapter and I became Secretary-Treasurer. We have some $800 in our
bank account, and Mark and I have been trying to change the signatories.
This has proved difficult for a number of reasons including that one of the
signatories is no longer an AAUP member and has difficulty meeting, but
most importantly, that post Patriot Act banking regulations mean that, to
have a bank account as an organization, new kinds of bylaws must be written
and paperwork must be filed with the Federal government and the state.

The Tulane chapter solved this problem by becoming a 501(c)(3) and getting
an R account with the university, with which it now works to file taxes.
With great effort from its Treasurer and some help from me the state
conference of AAUP resolved the problem by convincing its bank was to find
and honor original paperwork filed in the mid 20th century. Mark and I have
had no such luck.

We have, however, discussed the matter in some detail and devised a
solution: allow the state conference to handle banking for us. Treasurer
Kevin Cope (Prof. English, LSU-BR) is an organized, reliable and
conservative person who can create a budget line for our chapter, keeping
its money separate from that of the state conference, and disburse funds as
needed.

It seems to me that this is a good solution for us, as we have no regular
income and rarely spend money. It is a change, however, and we would like
your approval before doing it. At the next meeting (I assume this will be
in the fall) I will make a formal motion on the matter but in the meantime
I wanted to let you know, since not everyone comes to meetings. Could you
please respond with any thoughts, especially if you do NOT approve of this
proposal and have an alternative plan you KNOW will work?

SECRETARY'S REPORT

1/ Keith Dorwick continues as Media Manager and is in charge of the website
and the mailman list. If you are NOT a member of this list (
aaup-ull-list at lists.louisiana.edu), could you please join? It makes
communication much easier, as all list members can send mail to the list.

2/ I am in touch with Robert McKinney about getting a spot for us at new
faculty orientation, and will let you know how this goes. If we get the
spot we will need people to go, and if we have a table we need to staff it.
I have a number of different, attractive brochures including one about
benefits of membership, which include low-rate professional liability
insurance and other practical things. We can also ask to have materials
included in orientation packets.

3/ Speaking of brochures and materials -- please let me know if you would
like some for your department / your contacts.

4/ State conference mailing list -- this is managed by Zehra Zamin at LSU
and I have asked her to update it, so you should all be receiving state
conference mail. Please let me know if you have difficulty with this.

COMMITTEE A REPORT

Committee A was consulted about one case of non-renewal of a tenure-track
faculty member, that was complex, took a significant amount of time, and
went to grievance. Senate President Chad Parker and several other senators
were very helpful here as our Committee A is not large enough to be able to
cover all the meetings / handle all the work. The AAUP national office
determined that the University had followed its own procedures in this
case, but that our procedures are not entirely up to AAUP standards. It
sent an advisory letter to Faculty Senate President Chad Parker and to me
as chair of Committee A, recommending revisions to the Faculty Handbook. I
am hoping the Senate, and AAUP members who may be on Senate or elected to
it, can take this up next year.

Committee A needs members: I am currently chairing it and Chet Rzadkiewicz
is on it, but we need personnel and I don't want to chair it forever, as I
became chair before being an officer and cannot really wear so many hats.
Chet and I would be very grateful if anyone can join us -- sometimes there
is no work, and we won't overwork you, and the work is important. Please
consider it!

THANK YOU and please let me know what you think / how you feel about
letting the state conference handle our banking for us.

Leslie Bary
2019- Secretary-Treasurer
2014- Chair, Committee A
UL Lafayette Chapter, AAUP

--
*Leslie Bary, Ph.D. | *Asst. Prof. Spanish and Latin American Studies
https://languages.louisiana.edu/academic-programs/spanish

Department of Modern Languages | P.O. Drawer 43651
University of Louisiana | Lafayette, LA  70504
Tel.: 337.482.6814 | Fax: 337.482.5446
Email: lbary at louisiana.edu | ORCID 0000-0003-1432-3348
<http://orcid.org/0000-0003-1432-3348>
Office hours FA 2018 TR 1-2 and by appointment

Visit Louisiana Conference, American Association of University Professors
http://aaupla.org
Visit Latin American Studies Association
http://lasa.international.pitt.edu/eng/