[Reliable_computing] [BULK] Re: sinc function for intervals

Ralph Baker Kearfott C00255736 at louisiana.edu
Sun Jul 7 19:03:32 CDT 2019

Brian,

Now that you mention it, yes, I need to amend my previous statement.
Yes, if you plug in intervals into the terms in the Taylor series, that
won't give you a reasonable result.  The thing to do would be to
plug the point values (suitably represented as an interval) into
the terms and an interval into the error term.

On the other hand, the best way, if possible, is to use point values
of known accuracy along with known intervals in which the function
is monotonic.

Yes, people do use Taylor series in interval computations.  Consider
earlier work of Berz and Makino, for example.

Baker